Before buying a digital piano one should know about “The piano” if he has just started learning it. A digital piano is a type of electronic keyboard which serves as an alternative to the acoustic piano both in the way sound is produced and it feels to play. Digital piano use recorded samples from the acoustic piano which afterwards are amplified through the internal loudspeakers.
It became a good alternative because of being smaller, less weight than acoustic, cheaper and travel-friendly etc other advantage is that it doesn’t need tuning and we can modify its tuning to match other instruments tuning also.
Before buying a digital piano one must know that it is a complicated machine and there are some important factors you must check before buying one for yourself.
The first important question you must ask yourself, “what type of piano do I need” read carefully I write,… do I need not …do I want because you should buy according to your experience or skills. So as you about to start then you need a basic, low budget one with some learning tools so you can reach up to intermediate level while practising and as an intermediate or advanced you have to be very selective about the piano you should consider its touch, you should be careful about the sensitivity. Etc.
There are 5 types of digital piano:-
- Home piano:- these are 88 key digital pianos designed for home use, they have inbuilt stands and speakers.
- Upright piano:- it is like a smaller version of Grand piano the strings are vertical means the frame is compact but taller.
- Stage piano:- these are used for session works, are more compact and are compatible with various stands and inputs/ outputs.
- Portable piano:- these are light weights and easy to carry around.
- Grand piano:- like its name it is big and is a type of luxury and used for grandiose aesthetics.
2. Key action:-
As an intermediate who is using the piano for some time, then you have heard or know about “weighted” it means the feel of resistance of key action.
most digital pianos have some form of a weighted key, they offer a real piano experience, type of weighted keys are as follows:-
- Non-weighted keys:- cheap digital pianos normally have lightweight keys and little resistance.
- Semi-weighted keys:– it is a step towards a realistic feeling, more resistance than non-weighted because of the spring action mechanism.
- Hammer keys:- it is a type of replication if you want a good feel of the piano, it is achieved by weighted leverage to add extra resistance.
Sound is the main and biggest point while choosing a piano for you because music instrument is nothing but crap without a good quality sound one of the advantages of modern digital piano is that they feel very similar to acoustic piano and also offer for more sounds, the number of sounds are different depending on their brand and prices like mini affordable pianos offer handful sounds and medium level pianos will offer a little more choices example orchestra, organ etc.
Modern Digital pianos have different types of connectivity some of the connections are as follows:-
- Bluetooth:- It is the simplest of wireless connectivity, digital pianos are compatible with Bluetooth. It allows connection to smartphones.
- USB:- it will allow you to directly connect to the computer, it is a handy tool for practising.
- MIDI:- it is the universal digital language of music, information on pitch, velocity, volume etc is carried by MIDI signal. Because it is universal, it works with many apps.
- XLR:- it is a standard microphone connection, because of its loss of quality is avoided and you get a clear sound.
Digital pianos have a weight ranging from 10 kilograms to 120 kilograms. Portable and stage pianos are lighter whereas home and upright pianos are heavier because of the features they have. Weights should be considered before buying a piano because space depends on them heavier the piano more space it will take.
Since the digital piano is a resemblance to the account stick piano in sound quality and in design so it is a good investment and its price range is from rupees 1000 to 100000, yes depend on its features.
These are some checklist before buying a digital piano and I am sure while considering this list you will get a piano of your type so so keep learning and keep practising.