About LibyaLibya is a predominately desert country in North Africa, bordering Egypt and Tunisia. Libya budget travel includes a range of highlights from ancient Roman ruins to vast desert landscapes and fascinating Arab cultures and traditions.
Libya Budget Travel
Below is a list of Libya's top destinations, click on the link to view all details and tours.
Libyan Dinar (LYD)
Libya HIV/AIDS precautions include the following:
• Don't ever share needles or syringes
• Practice safe sex at all times
• Equipment may not be adequately sterilised, or blood may not be properly screened for HIV
• If you require self-administered injections, take an adequate supply of your own needles
• Avoid tattoos, acupuncture treatment or body piercing unless the equipment is sterile
Major Libya airports include:
• Benina International Airport
• Tripoli International Airport
Libya birdlife includes some 317 species, with total of 8 Important Bird Areas (IBAs) in the country. Species includes Moussier's Redstart, Tristram's Warbler, Lesser Kestrel and Slender-billed Curlew.
With a number of species now extinct, Libya conservation efforts are essential to protect the country's threatened and endangered bird and animal species. Projects include sea turtle conservation and tortoise preservation projects.
Libya cultures include the following influences:
• Literature plays a vital role in spanning the multi-cultural heritages of Libya
• Food and drink are a strong part of all cultures in the country
• Berber influences date back to the country's earliest times
• Italian and Greek influences can both be found in ancient ruins and villages
• Architecture and use of space plays a key role in surviving the desert climate
Libya customs allows for free import of the following:
• 200 cigarettes, 250g of tobacco or 250g cigars
• 250ml of perfume
Libya health facilities are infamous for being overcrowded and inadequate, so take precautions to stay healthy and avoid the public health care system. Take out comprehensive travel insurance, avoid tap water, pack a basic first aid kit and do not eat food that has been left to stand.
Libya vaccinations include the following:
• Hepatitis A & B
• Yellow fever (if coming from an infected zone)
• Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR)
Libya languages include the following:
Libya malaria information includes:
• Malaria medication is not needed to visit Libya
• Malaria medication includes Larium, Malarone, or doxycycline
• If you are coming from a malaria zone be sure to continue the course as prescribed
• Follow basic guidelines such as using mosquito repellent and mosquito netting
• Speak to your doctor about malaria medication you will need
Libya money and banking info is as follows:
• Local currency is Libyan Dinar and dirhams
• Libya is a cash society - credit cards are very seldom accepted
• Currency can be exchanged at airports and some major hotels
• Be prepared and organise cash when you have the chance
• There are few reliable ATMs in Tripoli
Libya people include the following groups:
• Berber and Arab 97%
• Egyptians, Greeks, Maltese, Italians, Pakistanis, Turks, Indians and Albanians 3%
Libya local phrases in Arabic include:
• Hello - As-salaam-alaikum
• Goodbye - Ma'assalama
• Thank you - Shokran
• Please - Men fadlak (male), men fadlik (female)
• How much? - Bikam?
Mostly desert, the small amount of Libya plant life includes a relatively narrow coastal strip and highland steppes, sparse grassland, as well as the lush Jabal al Akhdar (Green Mountain), named after its leafy cover of pine, juniper, cypress, and wild olive.
A July 2006 United Nations estimate puts the Libya population at 5,900,754.
Libya religion includes the following groups:
• Sunni Muslim 97%
• Other 3%
Libya safety tips include the following:
• Libya is generally a safe country to visit with very little problems
• Driving can be a hazard however, with camels and sand, and poor standard headlights making it hard to navigate desert roads, and speeding and heavy traffic in city roads
• Driving after dark in rural areas is not advised
• Tourists can sometimes be scammed or hassled Ã¢â‚¬â€œ be polite and firm
• It is illegal to bring alcohol into the country or drink, and penalties can be very severe
Libya local transport options include the following:
Libya recommended travel books include the following:
• Libya - Culture Smart!: A Quick Guide to Customs and Etiquette by Roger Jones
• Waterproof Libya Map by International Travel Maps and Books
• Footprint Libya Handbook: The Travel Guide by James Azema
• Libya: A Civilization Amidst the Dunes by Giorgio Galanti
• Libya In Pictures by Francesca Di Piazza
Libya visa information is as follows:
• It is notoriously difficult to obtain tourist visas for Libya
• Holders of passports containing a valid or expired visa for Israel will be refused entry or transit
• Passports must be valid for a minimum of six months
• Visitors must be in possession of a minimum of foreign currency equivalent to US$1,000 on arrival
• Travelers who have proof of Libyan family or organisation who are sponsoring them are exempt from the above clause
What To Buy
What to buy for Libya safaris:
• Sleeping bag and camping mattress if you are on an overlanding tour
• Backpack plus a good quality moneybag to keep valuables
• Libya travel guide plus Arab phrase book and a good map
• First aid kit with basic supplies and malaria medication
• Travel pack with wet wipes, toilet roll and waterless hand wash
What To Pack
What to pack for Libya safaris: Camera, batteries and spare film or memory as well as binoculars
• Long-sleeve, loose, lightweight clothing with skirts and t-shirts covering shoulders for women as well as headscarves
• Comfortable walking shoes and sandals
• Sunglasses, sunscreen, sunhat and swimming costume
• Warm jacket for cooler months and night time
When To Go
Best time to visit Libya:
• The best time to visit Libya is from November to May, when the temperatures are cooler
• In summer (June to September) the ghibli sandstorms make it hard to get around
• Summer is generally very hot with average temperatures on the coast around 30Ã‚Â°C
• Avoid the desert areas from mid-May until October, when temperatures reach a sweltering 55Ã‚Â°C
• Desert temperatures can drop below freezing at night
• For more information about Libya, take a look at Guide for Africa's detailed guide.
With 87 species of mammals and a large number of reptiles to be found, Libya wildlife is fairly abundant. Most species are desert-dwelling, with a range of animals including Barbary sheep, desert fox, Gazelle, Kleinmanni tortoise, Libyan Jerboa, Cape Hyrax, Olive Baboon, African Savanna Hare, as well as marine animals like Pilot whale and dolphin.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.
The highlight of my trip had to be Gweru in Zimbabwe, it was my idea of paradise. So much to do there with the animals and the location of it was just beautiful!
— Anne B (27) from Ireland
The trip was great! A very relaxed ride in a mokoro, followed by camping in the Okavango Delta and watching the animals on the islands was awesome!
— Michael & Silke from Germany
I loved every millisecond of the entire trip... Guess what I did in Swakopmund? I skydived out of a plane - woohoo was that AWESOME :-)
— JoJo E (61) from Switzerland
Finally home and had a great timeâ€¦. I loved the shark diving, Sossusvlei and Himba people. Saw Lions, a Leopard, Elephants, Giraffes, everything really! Thanks for…
— John E from Canada
I did not believe in god till i visited Chobe National Park.
— Juca from Uruguay
Do this on the Cape Town to Nairobi with Gorilla Trek.Tours with Gorilla Trekking in Uganda
Do this on the 14-day Kruger and Mozambique Safari.Tours with Kruger National Park Game Drive
Do this on the Best of South West Africa.Tours with Okavango Delta Mokoro Excursion
Do this on the Best of East Africa.Tours with Serengeti National Park Excursion
Do this on the Best of South West Africa.Tours with Victoria Falls Flight of Angels
Do this on the Best of South West Africa.Tours with White Water Rafting on the Zambezi River
Visit Etosha National Park on the Best of NamibiaTours through Etosha National Park
Visit Serengeti National Park on the Best of East AfricaTours through Serengeti National Park