Images of Eastern Trans Africa Expedition
Cape Town, South Africa
Build Your Trip to Africa
Tour Route Map View the full route map
Eastern Trans Africa Expedition
This tour takes you from Cape Town to Cairo in 16 weeks. Grab the Tour Dossier PDF.
Current PriceGBP 2395 Currency Converter + US$ 1165 Local Payment
TypeTrans Africa TourCamping Tour
AccommodationCampingLocal Payment is a portion of your total tour cost which is paid locally to your Crew, in cash, at the beginning of your tour.Should you book this tour as a solo traveler and are happy to share a room, a single supplement may not apply (depending on availability). If you wish to have a room to yourself or can not be paired up with another same-sex traveler you would need to pay the single supplement.
REAL overland travel at its best! If you want air conditioning, hot showers every night and a cook then this expedition is not for you. Expect to get "stuck in" on this trip that covers the major sights between Cape Town and Cairo both on and off the beaten track. A true ADVENTURE OF A LIFETIME!Read the Detailed Itinerary
Which departure date suits you best?Enquire Now!
Your Gorilla Permit is not included in the trip cost. This needs to be paid for at the time of booking. Please enquire for more information.
See what's included and what isn't
A day-by-day breakdown of what to expect and where you'll be staying.
Day 1 to 9, Cape Town to Sossusvlei
A few days in the Mother City will pass quickly before we head off north to the Orange River. Crossing into Namibia we stop at the glorious Fish River Canyon before arriving at the highest sand dunes in the world - Sossusvlei.
Day 10 to 16, Sossusvlei to Etosha National Park
Leaving the inland dunes we head to the coast and the highlights of Swakopmund and the Cape Cross Seal Colony before turning inland again. Spitzkoppe is our destination before reaching Brandberg Mountains, Cheetah Park and the fantastic Etosha National Park in northern Namibia.
Day 17 to 23, Etosha National Park to Chobe National Park
After a few amazing days in Etosha Game Driving and viewing the wildlife from the floodlit waterholes we turn east, cross into Botswana and head for the stunning Okavango Delta.We spend a few days being poled along these waterways in our hollowed out tree before we re-board the truck and drive up to Chobe National Park - famous for it's huge Elephant herds.
Day 24 to 30, Chobe National Park to Victoria Falls
We trade wildlife viewing for adrenaline pumping action as we cross into Zimbabwe and stop at the thundering Victoria Falls. With plenty to keep everyone busy the days will pass quickly so step out of the box and try everything at least once!
Day 31 to 37, Victoria Falls to Gweru
After all the adrenaline is spent we jump back on the truck and drive south and east across Zimbabwe stopping at Bulawayo, Matopos National Park and the Great Zimbabwe Ruins before reaching Gweru. The gorgeous Antelope Park awaits and you have the chance to get up close and personal with Lions and Elephants.
Day 38 to 46, Gweru to Lake Malawi
Leaving Antelope Park we make our way to the Eastern Highlands of Zimbabwe, we will either visit Chimanimani National Park or Vumba Gardens. Afterwards, we make a short stop in the capital Harare before quickly crossing Mozambique via the Tete Corridor. The desert landscape gives way to lush forests and rivers as we meet Lake Malawi. We spend the next few days driving north along the west coast of the Lake stopping at different bays along the way.
Day 47 to 53, Lake Malawi to Zanzibar
Leaving Malawi we pass large tea plantations on our way to Tanzania. Look out for Giraffe and Elephant as we drive through Mukumi National Park on the way to Dar es Salaam - our base for a trip to the white sandy beaches of Zanzibar Island. Try out the water activities as well as the historic city tours this ancient island has on offer to truly grasp its diverse past.
Day 54 to 61, Zanzibar Island to Nairobi
Leaving the 'Spice Island' we skip through Dar es Salaam and stop off at Marangu where you have the opportunity to climb to Kilimanjaro base camp, or take a walk through the lush surroundings passing through coffee plantations, rivers, waterfalls, caves and visiting a local blacksmith. We then make our way to Arusha - our base for the Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro Crater. Meet the brightly coloured Masai people in their own village before we cross into Kenya and arrive at the capital, Nairobi.
Day 62 to 68, Nairobi to Kampala
We enter the Great Rift Valley as we leave Nairobi and travel to Lake Nakuru and Jinja. Test out some Nile River rafting before we move further west to Kampala and Lake Victoria.
Day 69 to 74, Kampala to Nairobi
Now we are entering Mountain Gorilla country! Further west on the borders of Uganda and Rwanda is where all Gorilla Treks take place and we have the chance to spend a short but worthwhile hour with them before retracing our steps past Lake Bunyoni, Lake Naivasha, Hells Gate National Park and Kampala. Crossing back into Kenya, a couple of days could be spent in Nairobi to allow time to obtain Egypt and Ethopia visas.
Day 75 to 81, Nairobi to Moyale
Remote northern Kenya appears in front of us as we negotiate Mount Kenya and Marsabit and travel through the East Africa Rift Valley. Absolute stunning scenery is all around and the photo opportunities are huge. Our last Kenyan camp, at Moyale, is right on the border of Kenya and Ethiopia.
Day 82 to 87, Moyale to Bahir Dar
Leaving the awful roads of northern Kenya behind us we cross into Ethiopia and aim for Lake Tana and Bahir Dar. The Blue Nile Gorge and Blue Nile Falls are an amazing sight and the islands of Lake Tana, with their 900 year old monasteries, are well worth the short boat trip to get there.
Day 88 to 94, Bahir Dar to Gondar
The poor quality roads and mountain passes give the truck a work out and slow down our drive times as we travel to and from Bahir Dar and Gondar. However the stunning and ancient historic sites we come across more than make up for the slow drive. Lalibela and the holy city of Axum boast 12th century churches carved straight out of the rock!
Day 95 to 100, Gondar to Aswan
After crossing into Sudan we start our desert drive through Khartoum and along the Nile toward Egypt. Be amazed at the friendly Sudanese hospitality as we wind slowly north. Egypt is not the only country with pyramids and we stop at Meroe to see them Sudan style! A hard desert adventure ends at Wadi Halfa on the shores of Lake Nasser and here we cross in to Egypt.
Day 101 to 107, Aswan to Luxor
After our relaxing ferry trip across Lake Nasser, Aswan is a interesting change of pace. We sort out some visa's and enjoy the local sites - such as famous Abu Simbel - before deciding if we want to sail the Nile in a traditional Felucca, passing Edfu and Kom Ombo on the way to Luxor.
Day 108 to 114, Luxor to Cairo
Luxor has plenty to offer and the ancient sites of the Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, Luxor and Karnak Temples will keep you inspired and busy! The oasis's of the Western Desert await us before we continue to Cairo. The Pyramids of Giza, the Sphinx and the Egyptian Antiquities Museum are a must-see and a fitting end to our trip of a lifetime!
Highlights included in your tour cost
Seven Wonders of the Ancient World
Mysterious and magical
Not to be missed!
Walk inside a Pyramid!
Ride a camel
A sanctuary for the rare Black Rhino. Well known for the huge population of Flamingo that turns the lake's surface bright pink!
Ancient Egypt at its best Half Lion, half Pharaoh Giza Plateau Guarding the Pyramids of Giza
There are 84 optional activities available on this trip.
Prices shown are approximate
- TBA Antelope Park Lion Breeding Program
- $75 Arusha Camel Rides
- $25 Aswan High Dam
- $15 Axum Churches and Archaeological Sites
- TBA Bahir Dar Fishing
- $12 Cairo Antiquities Museum
- $40 Chobe National Park Game Drive
- $60 Chobe Sunset Boat Cruise
- $20 Crescent Island Wildlife Sanctuary
- $35 Dhow Fishing Trip - Zanzibar
- $10 Edfu Temple
- $15 Elsamere
- $18 Fasilidas Castle Tour
- TBA Fishing on the Dam
- TBA Game Fishing
- $75 Game Ride by Horseback
- TBA Gondar
- $20 Great Zimbabwe Ruins
- $130 Gweru Elephant Ride
- $40 Gweru Elephant Swim
- $105 Jet Boating on the Zambezi
- $15 Jinja Guided Village Walk
- $70 Jinja Quad Bike Safari
- $90 Kande Beach Horse Riding
- $45 Kande Beach Scuba Diving
- TBA Kande Beach Water Sports Equipment
- $15 Karen Blixen Museum
- $12 Karnak Temple
- $8 Kitchener Island Botanic Gardens
- $20 Lake Malawi Snorkelling Trip
- $130 Lake Malawi Water Skiing
- $35 Lake Tana Scenic Boat Cruise
- $15 Lalibela Coffee Ceremony
- $25 Lalibela Rock Churches
- $20 Langata Giraffe Centre Visit
- $10 Luxor Temple
- $15 Malawi Village Walk & Meal
- $70 Moped Hire - Zanzibar
- $85 Nairobi National Park
- $65 Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary
- $40 Nile Felucca Excursion
- $8 Nubian Village Dinner
- $35 Nungwe Snorkel Trip
- $160 Okavango Delta Mokoro Excursion
- $85 Okavango Delta Scenic Flight
- $15 Oudtshoorn Ostrich Farm Visit
- $500 PADI Dive Course - Zanzibar
- $80 Paragliding
- $10 Philae Temple
- $50 Prison Island Excursion
- $25 Prison Island Snorkelling Trip
- $550 Serengeti National Park Hot Air Balloon Ride
- $15 Sheldrick Wildlife Trust Rhino Sanctuary
- $25 Simien Mountains Mountain Biking
- $8 Simien Mountains Mule Ride
- $25 Softpower Community Project
- $350 Sossusvlei Scenic Flight
- $45 Stone Town City Tour
- $25 Stone Town Spice Tour
- $85 Swakopmund Quadbiking
- $65 Swakopmund Sandboarding
- $350 Swakopmund Sky Diving
- $75 Swakopmund Township Tour
- $35 Swimming with Dolphins
- $10 Temple of Queen Hatshepsut
- $75 Tsitsikamma Treetop Canopy Tour
- $34 Valley of the Kings & Queens Tour
- $140 Victoria Falls Adrenaline Day
- $105 Victoria Falls Bungee Jump
- $130 Victoria Falls Elephant Ride
- $120 Victoria Falls Flight of Angels
- $130 Victoria Falls Helicopter Flight
- $75 Victoria Falls Horse Rides
- $120 Victoria Falls Microlight Flight
- $30 Victoria Falls National Park
- $115 Victoria Falls Rhino Walk
- $75 Victoria Falls Scenic Flight
- $80 Walk with the Lions - Gweru
- $125 White Water Rafting on the Nile
- $130 White Water Rafting on the Zambezi River
- $65 Zambezi Gorge Swing
- $165 Zambezi River Rafting & Boarding Combo
- $80 Zambezi River Sunset Dinner Cruise
- TBA Zimbabwe Walking Safaris
Route Info and Logistics
Crew: 2 crew
Vehicle: Overland Truck
Available in Reverse
This tour is also available in reverse. Click here to view details of the Cairo to Cape Town Nile Trans tour
The trip didn't fail to dissapoint in the slightest, it really was a life experience and like everyone says, you don't realise just how good it was until you get back home, sit dow...
— Thomas (23) from United Kingdom