Namibia is a vast country of sand, sea and history and makes for the best sand and sun getaways with plenty of things to do in Namibia.
List of things to do in Namibia:
1. Fish River Canyon
Above: Things to do in Namibia - Fish River Canyon
The Fish River Canyon is the second largest canyon in the world and one of the best hiking trails in Africa, making it one of the must-see Namibia attractions. Fish River Canyon offers visitors some of the most incredible views, drawing crowds from every corner of the globe. Definitely one of those things to do in Namibia you don't want to be missing out on.
2. Deep Sea Angling
The Namibian West Coast is a pure paradise for the aspiring fisherman. Deep sea fishing excursions can be chartered. In 2010 Henties Bay, 60 km North of Swakopmund, was host to the World Fishing Championships. Permits are required for catching crayfish that are caught from the rocks in Langstrand. This is not usually a Namibia attraction for those who suffer from sea sickness, however, they do have pills for that kind of thing you know.
3. Dune 45 Sunrise (one of the most popular things to do in Namibia)
Above: Things to do in Namibia - Dune 45
Dune 45 is a 148 m high burnt orange sand dune. An early morning hike to the top of Dune 45 is a terrific way to kick start your day and watch as a picturesque sunrise sets the mood to another perfect day in the desert. Nothing like a fantastic view and a walk in the Namib Desert dunes to serve as one of the best things to do in Namibia.
4. Otjitotongwe Cheetah Park The Otjitotongwe Cheetah Park came into being when a local cattle farmer with a cheetah problem captured a pregnant cat. The birth of the Cheetah cubs brought with it tourists and traffic to the farm and the rancher converted his land into what is today a conservation project known as the Otjitotongwe Cheetah Park, with three semi tame cheetahs and seventeen wild cheetahs. One of the many Namibia attractions well worth a visit.
5. Etosha National Park
Above: Things to do in Namibia - Etosha National Park
An awesome 20 000 km2 of unspoiled Africa, Etosha National Park is one of the last places in the world where the endangered Black Rhino can still be seen. Rest camps throughout the park give guests a real out of Africa experience between the bird life, wildlife, game drives as well as great outdoor eating and picnic areas. Of all the things to do in Namibia, this better be at the top of your list.
6. Cape Cross Seal Colony Every year, between October and December, more than 100 000 seals arrive on the Skeleton Coast. Only an hour’s drive north of Swakopmund you can visit Namibia’s famous Cape Fur Seal colony at Cape Cross. Fifteenth century Portuguese sailors planted a cross here, which is where the area gets its 'Cape Cross' name from. A replica of the original cross stands there today, still as a Namibia attraction even though the original cross is in Berlin. Cape Cross is situated in a conservation reserve and entry permits are required before you can enter the area.
7. Visit a Himba Tribe (One of the best cultural Namibia attractions)
Above: Things to do in Namibia - Himba Tribe
As with all African tribes, a Himba Tribe has its own traditions, roots and culture that set it apart from any other. Spend some time with those who live off the land, find out more about their way of life and how they do it on a day to day basis. Himba people are friendly and welcoming. Get a guide to take you on a day trip if you're looking for cultural things to do in Namibia.
8. Deadvlei Acacias Deadvlei is a clay pan in the Namib-Naukfluft Park which is home to 900 year old acacia trees frozen in time. An early morning hike to see this wonder of nature is a great start to any day. Another one of those great Namibia attractions. Revved up and ready to explore the jewel of Africa's Skeleton Coast after reading about all the things to do in Namibia? Indulge your wanderlust and browse through the overland trips that include Namibia.