Overlanders are a rare breed.
Being an adventurer that revels in trekking terrains off the beaten track, willingly signing up for weeks upon weeks of roughing it, all in the name of experiencing the wilds of Africa. Surely this is only something a mad man would do… right? Well, sanity is quite relative in this case.
True overlanders will be the first to tell you that an overlanding trip is anything but cushy; however, they keep coming back for more. It seems the rewards gained from living life for a few weeks as a nomad and traversing the lap of the land draws overlanders back like a moth to the flame.
Here’s a quick ‘health’ check to see if your heart drums to an overlanding Africa beat:
• You’re sick and tired of eating pasta
• The ’smell’ doesn’t bother you anymore
• Showers are a convenience
• A 7am start to the morning has you feeling like a sloth
• Going to bed at 11pm is late for you
• The burn marks in your clothes are evidence of nightly campfires
• You can’t tell which are your feet and which are your sandals
• Brushing your hair has become a distant memory
• You’ve got setting up camp and tents down to an art
• You keep wondering why the smoke from the campfire makes a beeline directly for you – always!
• You have adopted the “thirty second rule” (where any seat left vacant around the campfire for more than thirty seconds is up for the taking)
• The “five second rule” is your friend (any piece of food dropped on the floor is still edible if retrieved within 5 seconds)
• Night swimming in the nude is becoming the norm
If you have found yourself nodding fondly to any of the above mentioned checklist, then chances you’re an overlander at heart, and if instead you’re nodding your head in eager anticipation then you need to get yourself on an overlanding truck, pronto!
On the Overlanding Africa website, you will find all the information needed to transform the niggling urge into a very real and vivid adventure.
Explore the world and get to know yourself.