A short list of Namibia travel Do’s and Don’ts from the expert Crew on the ground.
- Buy your crystals and semi precious stones; they are cheap and ALL over the place!
- Take a warm jacket – it may be a desert but it does get chilly at night
- Visit during October for a real German October Fest!
- Search for wild horses, they are rare but there
- Visit an old diamond town such as Kolmanskop
- Quad bike! (No experience necessary!)
- Hike up Dune 45 JUST before sunrise for the best view in the world
- Take plenty of sun cream and a sun hat at all times of the year
- Take balloons for the local children (obviously not pre blown!)
- Spend the day with the Himbas or the Bushmen
- Spend more than a day in the capital, Windhoek. So much more to see….
- Hike in the Fish River Canyon between November and March, it is waaaay too hot!
- Give money to the locals if they beg, rather buy a little food and give it to them. Giving money only encourages begging.
- Wander off too far in Spitzkoppe or the Sossusvlei dune fields – everything looks very similar and you may never find your way back!
- Be a chicken – try out the quad biking, sand boarding and sky diving in Swakopmund.
For more expert overlanding advice contact the team at OverlandingAfrica.com or post your comments below.