In a time when travellers are paying higher ticket costs and baggage fees, adding travel insurance onto the cost of a trip can seem like just another expense. The truth is that travel insurance is very inexpensive for the protection and assistance you get with it.
Travel insurance is your travel-glitch Band aid. Photo by Christian Svensson
Benefits of Obtaining Travel Insurance
You won’t lose your trip investment
No traveller can predict exactly what will happen between now and when they return home.
If someone gets sick, a parent dies, a traffic accident happens, or any of a number of things occur, you could have to cough up loads of money.
With the right travel insurance plan, you’ll be reimbursed for your pre-paid non-refundable trip costs if you have to cancel your trip before leaving or abandon your trip and return home.
The following are just a few of the covered reasons travellers have to cancel or interrupt their trips:
• Injury or illness of you, a traveling partner, a family member or a business partner
• Bad weather or natural disasters that destroy your destination accommodations or your house back home
• Traffic accidents that occur en route to your scheduled departure
• Work or schedule conflicts including work transfers, court summons, terminations, or work schedule changes
• Labour strikes and financial default that disrupt flights and leave travellers stranded
• Terrorist attacks and mandatory evacuations
With adequate travel insurance, if you experience a situation that requires you to cancel your trip prior to departure or abandon your trip and return home post-departure, you’ll be reimbursed for all of the unused trip expenses you insured.
You won’t have to pay for unexpected medical care
Emergency medical expenses are expensive. Photo by Maciek PELC
We’ve all read stories of travellers who were injured or got sick while travelling. When a traveler is in a foreign country, their health insurance from back home doesn’t usually extend to paying foreign hospitals and doctors.
If you, or someone travelling with you, gets sick or injured and needs medical care while you’re travelling, your travel insurance provider will help you find emergency transportation and local medical care. In most cases, they can arrange for payment to be made directly to the medical providers too. They also have experts on hand who can provide translation services if you are unfamiliar with the local language.
If you have a pre-existing medical condition, your travel insurance assistance services team can work with your doctors back home and help coordinate your care. In addition, they’ll inform your family and business associates of your condition while keeping track of your progress.
You can be evacuated out of danger
There are many reasons that travellers have to be evacuated: to escape terrorist attacks, impending hurricanes, or when they are so badly injured that local medical care can’t provide adequate treatment.
A travel insurance plan with medical evacuation coverage helps a traveller by arranging and paying for safe transportation to a medical facility that can treat their condition. In addition, this coverage typically pays to bring a family member or friend to the traveller’s bedside as well as transporting you back home when your recovery is stabilised.
If the worst should happen and you die on your trip, this coverage also provides money and coordination for repatriation – that is, the proper return of your body to your home. In some cases, repatriation can take tens of thousands of dollars and leave family members struggling to negotiate complicated transportation regulations through their grief.
An adequate travel insurance plan can save your family from all that.
You can buy travel insurance for special circumstances
Travellers with special circumstances often think they can’t get travel insurance, but it’s not true.
Travellers can get coverage for all kinds of special situations and activities, including:
• Coverage for travellers with pre-existing medical conditions
• Coverage for travellers who like to go rock climbing, diving, hang-gliding, white-water rafting etc.
• Coverage for travellers with young children (even grandchildren)
• Coverage for travellers headed to unsafe areas of the world
For just a little extra money, travellers with different needs can get adequate travel insurance.
Other Benefits of Travel Insurance
Many travel insurance plans include additional benefits that include:
• Assistance recovering from lost or stolen passports and identity theft
• Help with missed connections and travel delays
• Coverage for car rentals and roadside assistance
• Assistance when your baggage is lost, stolen or delayed
• Accidental death and dismemberment and flight accident benefits
• Concierge and business assistance services
Not every plan includes all of these and every plan will have different levels of coverage and limits.
The Best Way to Buy Travel Insurance
Hands down, the best way to buy travel insurance is using a travel insurance comparison engine, and here is why:
1. You’ll have access to loads of plans from many providers – lots of choices
2. You can review the travel insurance company and plan ratings – good information
3. You’ll have access to plan upgrades and can see real-time price changes – excellent cost comparison
Plus, you can purchase your travel insurance immediately and review the plan documents right away. In fact, this is how one way travel insurance is different from other types of insurance – it comes with a free review period where you can:
• Review the plan and understand the exclusions. This is a critical step too. It’s important to know what you’re covered for and what you’re not.
• Second, if the plan isn’t quite what you wanted, you can make changes or cancel the plan and get a refund (usually minus a small administration fee). You’re not locked into your plan.
Lots of travellers think that travel insurance lets too many travellers down when they need it, but the truth very often is that the traveller usually didn’t understand their policy or the exclusions.
Now that you’ve got your travel insurance issues sorted, you’re spoiled for choice with adventures for thrill seeking travellers.