For those that prefer the thrill of sleeping under the stars, camping safaris offer the perfect blend of adventure, nature, wildlife and spectacular views - allowing you to experience the ultimate camping trip in some of the most beautiful destinations across Africa.
From the remote rain forests of Uganda, to the idyllic beaches of Mozambique, there is a camping tour to suit all tastes, budgets and travel needs, offering a host of activities, attractions and sights. Camping tours are ideal for travellers who are not afraid to get their hands dirty, and do not mind sleeping in the great outdoors with just their mosquito-proof dome tents to protect them against the elements. For travellers who enjoy being right in the middle of all the action however, these trips offer a memorable travel experience in Africa.
The top 7 sensational camping safaris in Africa that are simply not to be missed include:
1. Kruger National Park Kruger National Park camping safaris offer a glimpse into South Africa's largest game park. This four day safari takes you from Johannesburg to the beautiful Kruger Park, continuing to Timbavati to visit a Cheetah Breeding Centre and Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre. This camping trip is ideal for travellers wanting a short tour with plenty of game viewing.
2. Gorilla Trekking The five day Gorilla Trekking camping tour is one of the most memorable experiences imaginable. See highly endangered mountain gorillas in their natural habitat, high up in the forests of Uganda. The tour starts in Kampala, and continues on to visit Kisoro and Lake Bunyoni. Gorilla trekking, plenty of game viewing and bird watching, as well as camping in the beautiful rain forests of Uganda are all just a hint of what you can expect on these camping safaris in Africa.
3. Victoria Falls Visit the World Heritage Site of Victoria Falls, the 'smoke that thunders', and see why this mindboggling waterfall has been rated as one of the wonders of the world. There are a number of camping tour options you could consider for Victoria Falls, with many tours offering a stop-over to this iconic destination as an added option. However you get there, camping in Vic Falls is not to be missed!
4. Namib Desert Safari Explore the land of contrasts with an eleven day Namib Desert Safari that takes you across the staggering dunes and deserts of Namibia. These camping trips start in Windhoek and head on to Etosha National Park, Spitzkoppe, Swakopmund, Sesriem, Sossusvlei and Fish River Canyon before heading back to South Africa via the Orange River.
5. Madagascar Dhow Island Hopping Experience the serene beaches and underwater wonders of Madagascar's islands with an eight day camping safari that takes you from Antananarivo to key islands such as Hell-ville, Nosy Iranja, Mahalina, Lokobe National Park and Nosy Komba, before heading back to Antananarivo. You will be able to camp in exotic beach spots, view the islands rare and fascinating wildlife and explore the warm waters that are teeming with marine life.
6. Botswana Delta and Chobe Expedition The beautiful Botswana hot-spots of the Okavango Delta and Chobe have been hailed as the most stunning safari destinations in Africa, and for good reason. The eight day Botswana camping tour takes you across the waterways and game-rich channels of this Botswana paradise.
7. Mozambique Magic Mozambique Magic tours take you from South Africa to Swaziland and Hlane Royal National Park, before crossing into Mozambique to visit key destinations such as Praia do Tofo, Bazaruto, Inhambane, Maputo and more. These are the perfect camping safaris in Africa for those who enjoy beaches, friendly locals and stunning wildlife.
For information about these tours and much more contact the team at OverlandingAfrica.com!