For many travellers finding discounted African safari packages may well be the only way for them to experience the wonders of safari in Africa. With the recession still fresh in many consumers' minds, and constant price hikes, travel is sometimes classed as a 'luxury', and many simply do not feel able to afford a travel experience such as a safari - especially students, singles or other budget conscious travellers. With a bit of know-how however, and a few good tips on how to find affordable safaris in Africa, anyone can experience the thrills, adventure and spectacular wildlife of a safari in some of Africa's top regions. Try these tips to learn more about how you can make your African safari dream into a reality:
1. Consider overland tours rather than luxury tours Overland tours offer one of the most affordable safari options allowing you to save on expenses such as luxury lodges and added frills. Travelling by overlanding trucks, most overland experiences offer camping accommodation or very basic accommodation rather than high-end accommodation. With a range of tour duration options, from short trips to intensive Trans Africa tours that take you from Cape to Cairo, there is something to suit all tastes ensuring a highly memorable and affordable way to enjoy a safari in Africa.
2. Don't take chances with unknown tour operators While it may be tempting to try a small, fly by night travel agency, this may end up costing you far more in the long run. Many unsuspecting travellers have been lured by the thought of a good deal only to find themselves stranded at the airport with no tickets, no money and no way of finding the agent that sold them a fake discounted African safari package. Only registered, licensed and reputable tour agencies should ever be consulted, and if you are unsure, rather listen to your instincts and try a good agency instead. Do your homework online, check testimonials and don't ever part with your money until you are certain that they are not trying to scam you.
3. Speak to a tour agency to learn about seasonal specials Once you have found a registered and good tour agency, find out if they are running any seasonal specials. High season for overland tours can be more expensive; while low season may often have cheaper prices all round. Tour operators can advise you on the best options to suit your budget and can also recommend travel packages that may appeal to you, to help you find a tour that is good for the pocket as well as meeting your requirements.
4. Choose your tour destination carefully You may want to visit all of Africa's top safari destinations, from South Africa to Namibia, Kenya, Botswana or Mozambique, however realistically speaking it makes more financial sense to choose one country for a shorter tour. Countries such as Botswana or Namibia offer a wide diversity of wildlife and birdlife, with different landscapes found across each region. You will be able to get all the benefits of a full safari, with the added advantage of a more affordable overland tour as you are staying within one area.
5. Consider a short tour You can save a huge deal by opting for a short tour of a week or 10 days rather than a full blown tour. This will allow you to enjoy game viewing, bird watching and many other activities, without forking out thousands for a long safari. This is one of the simplest ways to enjoy discounted African safaris.
For Africa Overland Trips and discounted African safari packages contact the team at OverlandingAfrica.com.