Overlanding Africa Travel - Eco Tips
Africa Overland companies do what they can to protect Africa. To some travellers EcoTourism and Sustainable Tourism is becoming an important consideration when planning a trip. There are many reasons why participating in an Overland Tour is an Eco-Friendly way to travel throughout Africa.
Why Africa Overland Travel is Eco Friendly
- Vehicles are regularly serviced and maintained therefore running cleaner and more efficiently whilst keeping emissions to a minimum.
- One vehicle = 12 to 30 travellers. The carbon footprint is divided across all travellers as opposed to having numerous vehicles on the road. (The saving you make on sharing fuel loads and costs is also worth mentioning!
- Companies have recognised ‘Green’ or ‘Eco’ policies in place that crew and passengers must adhere to.
- One return long-haul flight is less of a ‘carbon burning’ nightmare than your long-haul flight plus lots of little, short, local ones.
- Fresh food and produce is purchased locally at local markets thereby supporting local businesses and economies.
- Curios and souvenirs purchased ‘direct from the manufacturer’ (often a person with a roadside stall selling their wares) ensure that the full cost is paid to the local manufacturer and therefore community.
- Overland vehicles and drivers stick to public, marked roads and don’t condone ‘off-roading’ limiting the environmental impact in eco-sensitive areas.
- Rubbish is disposed of properly and recycled where possible.
- Many overland companies support a local charity, NGO or community based charitable association and in some cases these beneficiaries only exist due to the input from Overland companies, their crew and their passengers.
- The use of local guides not only gives you on-the-ground knowledge but supports the communities that live in the places you visit.
- The theories of "Tread lightly and travel politely" and "take only photos - leave only footprints" definitely apply to Overland travel.
Thinking Green On Safari
- Plastic bags - don't use them.
- Pillow case or recycled bag for laundry and shopping.
- When buying water buy 5L and decant it - you will use less bottles.
- No cigarette butts out window, dispose of them properly.
- Use bio degradable products where possible.
- Share transport or walk, lessens your carbon footprint.
- Minimise water usage.
- Buy local - its cheaper and you support local communities.
- Toilet paper - burn, bury or bring it back to the bin.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.
- Tania - OverlandingAfrica.com05 Nov 2010
Hi there; You can get a Standard Arabic phrase book at any decent book store these days - a Tunisian Arabic phrase book will be harder to find but the Standard Arabic one is fine. I can't recommend a specific place to buy it as I have no idea where in the world you are :) You can download a copy from Lonely Planet online if all else fails. Cheers;
- A. Plummer04 Nov 2010
Where can I buy a Tunisian phrase book suitable for holiday makers?
Preparing for your Africa Overland
The highlight of my trip had to be Gweru in Zimbabwe, it was my idea of paradise. So much to do there with the animals and the location of it was just beautiful!
— Anne B (27) from Ireland
The trip was great! A very relaxed ride in a mokoro, followed by camping in the Okavango Delta and watching the animals on the islands was awesome!
— Michael & Silke from Germany
I loved every millisecond of the entire trip... Guess what I did in Swakopmund? I skydived out of a plane - woohoo was that AWESOME :-)
— JoJo E (61) from Switzerland
Finally home and had a great timeâ€¦. I loved the shark diving, Sossusvlei and Himba people. Saw Lions, a Leopard, Elephants, Giraffes, everything really! Thanks for…
— John E from Canada
I did not believe in god till i visited Chobe National Park.
— Juca from Uruguay
Do this on the Cape Town to Nairobi with Gorilla Trek.Tours with Gorilla Trekking in Uganda
Do this on the Best of South Africa.Tours with Kruger National Park Game Drive
Do this on the best of east africa.Tours with Okavango Delta Mokoro Excursion
Do this on the Best of East Africa.Tours with Serengeti National Park Excursion
Do this on the best of east africa.Tours with Victoria Falls Flight of Angels
Do this on the best of east africa.Tours with White Water Rafting on the Zambezi River
Visit Etosha National Park on the Best of South West AfricaTours through Etosha National Park
Visit Serengeti National Park on the Best of East AfricaTours through Serengeti National Park